Re: Details on the updated namazu packages that are available

From: NOKUBI Takatsugu (knokat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 17:07:52 PST

    In article <3C3CCEFE.6080501at_private>
    dotslashat_private writes:

    >> Doh! Looks like I slept on this one too long... heres some of my
    >> personal notes on exploiting this issue. Have fun.

    Thanks for your report.

    >> Here is my research on the above issues:
    >> There are several buffer overflows in the QUERY_STRING options
    >> Unfortunately the check in namazu.h screws us...

    Yes, I had recognized it. So there is a notice about it as the
    follwing;

    libnamazu.h:
    enum {
        /* Size of general buffers. This MUST be larger than QUERY_MAX */
        BUFSIZE = 1024,

        QUERY_TOKEN_MAX =  32, /* Max number of tokens in the query. */
        QUERY_MAX       = 256, /* Max length of the query. */

        INDEX_MAX = 64        /* Max number of databases */
    };

    .. Oops, it is only QUERY_MAX, not mentioned about
    CGI_QUERY_MAX. I'll fix it.

    >> In other words unless you have modified namazu then you are not vuln.
    >> Now we can exploit this via the command line as a side note ... although
    >> its not suid...
    >> [root@linuxppc src]# ./namazu querystring `perl -e 'print "A" x 1024'`
    >> Results:

    >> No document matching your query.
    >> Aborted (core dumped)

    CGI program (namazu.cgi) and command-line programm (namazu) is
    separated, and command-line program is prohibited to invoke as
    CGI. Therefore I think it is not so serious.

    At all events, I'll fix it in next release. Thanks.
    --
    NOKUBI Takatsugu
    E-mail: knokat_private