Re: autoresponder program could be tricked by spamers to send unsolicitedmail to victim's address (fwd)

From: Rodent of Unusual Size (Ken.Coarat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 04:48:52 PST

    Someone forwarded me:

    > Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:51:55 +1100
    > From: userat_private
    > To: bugtraqat_private
    > Subject: autoresponder program could be tricked by spamers to send
    >     unsolicited mail to victim's address
    >
    > Autoresponder program
    > http://meepzor.com/packages/autoresponder/

    I am the author of this package.  I will look into this.

    > could be tricked by spamers to send unsolicited mail to
    > victim's address if option reply with copy of original
    > message attached to response is enabled in autoresponder's
    > configuration.

    Nothing is without risk.  Security always costs something --
    usually convenience.  The short answer to this for the
    time being is "don't do that"; in other words, don't use
    that option for now.

    > Program does not have any sort of restriction on number of

    That is a known restriction, and listed in the TODO file.
    It shouldn't come as a surprise.

    > I could not get in contact with developer of this program
    > despite we have sent warning to webmaster of web site hosting
    > web page of autoresponder.

    Um, I regard this as almost complete bollocks.  AFAIK, I have never
    received any mail from dhs.org until to-day, when you thoughtfully
    sent me notification (at Fri, 12 Jan 2001 12:14:19 +1100) less
    than two hours before posting this to bugtraq (at Fri, 11 Jan 2002
    13:51:55 +1100).  Not to my own account, not to the clearly-documented
    autoresponder package support address, and not to the Webmaster
    address until a few hours ago (which was hardly the best choice,
    but you lucked out this time :-).

    So while I appreciate the notification of the problem, and will
    look into it at the earliest opportunity, I'm more than a little
    irritated that you acted so irresponsibly -- sending a message
    in what could be (and was) late at night, and following it up
    with a 'I didn't get a response' posting to bugtraq less than two
    hours later (still late at night where I am).  I don't care for
    the incorrect insinuation that I am not responsive to security
    reports.  Of course, the next worse thing would have been to just
    send it to bugtraq and never to me at all.

    I don't follow bugtraq, so perhaps someone will inform me
    privately whether or not it is appropriate for me to follow
    up to it with a summary or 'fixed' posting.
    --
    #ken	P-)}