Automated remote CGI vulnerability discovery

From: Samy Kamkar (SKamkarat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 22:44:55 PST

    I would like to present screamingCobra to you all, originally developed
    at Caezar's Challenge V (originally named crawl5b).

    screamingCobra was developed to do "automated remote vulnerability
    discovery without source code to the application."

    Basically, it recursively crawls a site (without requiring the user to
    do ANY legwork at all), without leaving that site or going over links it
    has already gone to, and looks for anything that looks like it's able to
    accept arguements such as CGIs, forms, etc..  It then attempts to access
    /etc/passwd on the system by common CGI bugs that even the most well
    known sites on the net are usually vulnerable to.  It can be extended to
    attempt to execute an application on the remote system, as well.  It
    uses a number of techniques to do these.  If it succeeds, it returns the
    URL that was accessed and you can quickly see the problem and patch the bug.

    You can find it at http://cobra.LucidX.com or version 1.02 directly at
    http://cobra.LucidX.com/CURRENT.tar.gz

    Originally developed for NIX machines, this new version is compatible
    with any OS that has Perl installed.
    Also included is a Win32 binary for Windows users that do not have Perl.

    I hope this can be of use to some of you as it has been to many
    administrators and other users generally interested in network security.

    Please contact me if you have any questions or comments!

    --
    Samy Kamkar -- (877) 898-1424 -- cp5at_private
    LucidX.com / LA.pm.org / pdump.org / code.LucidX.com