Novell Netware Login "bypass" to execute programs

From: Philip Wagenaar (PB.Wagenaarat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 10:45:15 PST

    Not sure if this is known or not but I did not find anything about it on
    novell.com, securityfocus.com and after doing a websearch on google with
    some keywords about it.

    I don't have the resources to test this "bug" on other versions. And i`m
    not even sure if this classifies as bug but it could give unrestricted
    access on win95/98 (maybe more?) machine's without logging in properly
    or at all even.

    This was on a windows 95 machine running novell netware client.

    When you boot the machine you get the novell netware login screen. Here
    you are supposed to enter login and password to go into windows. But if
    you pause the mouse over certain area's of the login window you get the
    "alt" text "What is this?" and when you select it, Windows help opens.
    From there you can use the File -> Open menu and select type files as
    *.* and open any file you want.

    We found this out today but did not give much more attention to it
    because it was after five o'clock and our weekend already started ;-) So
    that's why I can't give you the specific version of novell netware
    because I don't remember, but I did do some quick research to see if
    this was known or not and couldn't find anything about it.

    Last time I posted something I thought was a bug to this list it wasn't
    my intention to post it as a I-am-sure-i-found-a-bug mail and after some
    research and testing it was not a bug afterall and it got removed from
    the vuln. Page, that's why i`d like some feedback first. I know at least
    some people are able to reproduce this because our configurarion is
    commonly used. I'm just trying to find out which versions of netware and
    windows are affected by this.

    I also thought about if this is a novell netware bug or a windows bug,
    but if you write this sort of network software, especially the
    loginscreen, I guess it's novell netware's responsibility.

    Hoping for lots of feedback

    Philip Wagenaar