Internet Explorer Pop-Up OBJECT Tag Bug

From: the Pull (osioniusxat_private)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 01:03:27 PST

    Internet Explorer Pop-Up OBJECT Tag Bug

    Class: Failure to Handle Exceptional Conditions
    Remote: Yes
    Found: January 10, 2001
    Severity: Moderate
    Vulnerable: IE 6.0.2600.0000
    + Windows 2000 Update Versions: Q312461;
    Q240308;Q313675

    Discussion: The PopUp object allows the insertion of
    embedded objects; they run in a high privilege space
    allowing the execution of local applications remotely.
    (Using the codebase tag, courtesy of Dildog and
    Microsoft).

    Caveats, Notes: Under initial testing scripting was
    not possible in the popup object, nor could I pass
    parameters to the executables. Regardless, there may
    be more dangerous examples of code being put within
    the popup object as it seems to do almost no internal
    checking at all.

    Exploits: http://www.osioniusx.com

    "funRun.html" - This page shows how you can run just
    about anything you want on a Windows system remotely
    from IE if it is on the user's system. I have included
    in it two sections: one section demonstrating running
    applications through the popup object; the second
    section demonstrating opening up control panels and
    the like from the earlier released bug
    "directoryInfo.html", ie the "file://::{CLSID}"
    feature of IE.

    Potential Solution: Fix required on the popup object.

    Workaround Suggestions: Disable ActiveScripting, use
    Netscape on untrusted sites, browse trusted sites
    only, do not allow ActiveScripting to be parsed in
    emails or newsposts

    Vendor Status: Emailed "Secureat_private"

    Disclosure Policy: I am not opposed to more warning
    for advisories and decide on that on a case by case
    situation. See Also, FullDisclosure.txt.