Razor warning (SPAM/UBE/UCE)

From: TAKAGI, Hiromitsu (takagi.hiromitsuat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 17:26:05 PST

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:06:29 +0000
    Tom Gilder <tomat_private> wrote:
    >  IE CLIPBOARD STEALING VULNERABILITY
    > More information available at http://tom.vpwsys.co.uk/clipboard/

    > VENDOR SOLUTION
    > I suggest MS make the Internet Zone default setting to prompt, and
    > improve the prompt dialog to show the clipboard contents (if it is
    > textual) to the user. They could also add a "always allow this site to
    > access the clipboard" checkbox.
    >
    > Microsoft will probably say something like "it's up to the user to set
    > their security settings as they see fit". However I believe the
    > majority of IE users will never change anything in their security
    > settings. They are simply too complex, and buried in the options
    > dialog.

    I reported the same issue to Microsoft on 21 Oct 2001 and received the
    following reply:

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 18:52:17 -0700
    "Microsoft Security Response Center" <secureat_private> wrote:
    | We are aware of the issue of protecting the contents of the clipboard.
    | This behaviour can be controlled, and is present by design for some
    | web services such as Hotmail.  If you are concerned about clipboard
    | sniffing then you can set "Allow paste operations via script" to
    | "Disable" or "Prompt" in the Internet zone.  This is explained in
    | detail in Q224993 "How to Protect the Contents of Your Windows
    | Clipboard".

    There was a related discussion at Windows NTBugtraq three years ago.

    http://www.ntbugtraq.com/default.asp?pid=36&sid=1&A2=ind9903&L=ntbugtraq&F=P&S=&P=6634
    http://www.ntbugtraq.com/default.asp?pid=36&sid=1&A2=ind9903&L=ntbugtraq&F=P&S=&P=6841
    http://www.ntbugtraq.com/default.asp?pid=36&sid=1&A2=ind9903&L=ntbugtraq&F=P&S=&P=6968
    http://www.ntbugtraq.com/default.asp?pid=36&sid=1&A2=ind9903&L=ntbugtraq&F=P&S=&P=7292

    --
    Hiromitsu Takagi, Ph.D.
    National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology,