Authorize.Net Plain Text Login Transmission

From: Brian Gallagher (brianat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 09:18:29 PST

    SYSTEMS AFFECTED

    Authorize.net Merchant Account Administration System

    OVERVIEW

    Authorize.net provides a system for the authorization and management of
    online and offline credit card transactions.  If the user omits the
    "https://" portion of the URL when going to "secure.authorize.net" the
    user's login and password will be transmitted in plain text across the
    Internet.  An intruder the ability to make unauthorized charges and
    credits to charge cards through the compromised merchant account, view
    the transaction history of the company, and get other related data.

    I.  DESCRIPTION

    Authorize.net provides a system for the authorization and management of
    online and offline credit card transactions.

    You log onto the administrative section of the system by going to the
    address https://secure.authorize.net .  The logon page is also available
    in a non-SSL version at http://secure.authorize.net .

    If you attempt to log on to the insecure page, it will appear to
    function as if you had gone to the correct SSL version of the page.
    When you submit your login information, it will transmit your username
    and password in plain text across the Internet and then display a "403.4
    Forbidden: SSL required" message.

    II. IMPACT

    The userid and password for your merchant account may be transmitted
    plain text across the Internet.  Any man-in-the-middle would be able to
    easily sniff your login information off the Internet and complete access
    to your account would be obtained.

    This would give the intruder the ability to make unauthorized charges
    and credits to charge cards through your merchant account, and view the
    transaction history of your company.

    III. SOLUTIONS

    A) Users: Be absolutely certain that you are accessing the SSL version
    of the secure.authorize.net login page.

    B) Authorize.Net: Change the FORM parameter in the login page to specify
    an ABSOLUTE URL.  Change the current tag from:

     <FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="/Interface/minterface.dll?FrameSet">

    to:

     <FORM METHOD="POST"
    ACTION="https://secure.authorize.net/Interface/minterface.dll?FrameSet">

    This would ensure that the user login information is transmitted
    securely.  However, the browser would not show the "SSL encrypted" icon
    (Key or Lock) to the user.

    C) Completely disable to non-SSL login page and direct users to the
    correct SSL page, either by link or automatically.  This would have the
    advantage of having the "SSL encrypted" icon displayed in the browser
    before the form is submitted.

    Option C would be my recommended solution.

    IV.  VENDOR NOTIFICATION

    Authorize.net was notified via their web-based support page on November
    14, 2001.

    V. VENDOR RESPONSE

    I received this email from their support department on November 15,
    2001.

    =============================
    ==== QUOTED MESSAGE =========
    =============================
    Subject: RE:Security Vulnerability on Authorize.net - Plaintext
    Passwords Transmitted [#5383523]

    Thank you for your email.  We appreciate feed back such as this.  I will
    forward your suggestions on to my manager.  Again, thank you.
    Thank you for contacting our customer service group.
    Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you in the
    future.
    =============================
    ==== QUOTED MESSAGE =========
    =============================

    To date, no other action has been taken on this matter, so I have
    submitted it to Bugtraq for the protection of their clientelle.

    I have sent a copy of this message to supportat_private

    V. REFERENCES

    Secure Page:
     https://secure.authorize.net

    Vulnerable Page: