Breakable

From: Kevin L. Poulsen (klpat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 10:12:22 PST

    Breakable

    A U.K. security expert is preparing to unveil a trove of serious
    vulnerabilities in Oracle's database products. Can the company redefine
    'unbreakable' in time?

    By Kevin Poulsen
    Jan 16 2002 1:26AM PT

    http://www.securityfocus.com/news/309

    [...]

    Making matters worse for Oracle, it turns out that those holes were little
    more than a prelude to a suite of at least seven vulnerabilities currently
    in the company's patch pipeline -- all of them discovered by Litchfield last
    fall. Assuming fixes are available in time, Litchfield plans to present the
    holes at a security conference in early February, including details of
    serious bugs that allow attackers to both "break it" and "break in."

    "They range from buffer overflows, to something in the way Oracle
    communicates with different components," says Litchfield, lead designer and
    developer at NGSSoftware. "We can actually interject ourselves in between
    that communications process and run commands as SYSTEM on Windows NT or
    2000. If it's running on a Unix system, we can run commands as the Oracle
    user
    remotely... So it's obviously very serious."

    <snip>