RE: [RHSA-2001:165-08] The uuxqt utility can be used to execute a rbitrary commands as uucp.uucp

From: John.Aireyat_private
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 03:39:20 PST

    [snip]
    >3. Problem description:
    >
    >Please note Red Hat Linux 7.2 is not vulnerable to this bug.
    >
    >Please also note that Red Hat Linux 7.2 uses a different
    >locking scheme to
    >previous versions, and so the 7.2 packages should not be
    >applied to Red Hat
    >Linux 7.0 or 7.1 systems.  Use the packages from this errata instead.
    >
    >Conversely, the packages from this errata should not be applied to
    >a Red Hat Linux 7.2 system
    [snip]

    >Red Hat Linux 7.2:
    >
    >SRPMS:
    >ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.2/en/os/SRPMS/uucp-1.06.1-32.src.rpm
    >
    >i386:
    >ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.2/en/os/i386/uucp-1.06.1-32.i386.rpm
    >
    >ia64:
    >ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.2/en/os/ia64/uucp-1.06.1-32.ia64.rpm
    >

    >[final snip]

    Can someone please explain this contradictory security notice? If the
    security vulnerability does not apply to RedHat 7.2, why is this listed as
    an affected system together with an update?

    Also, why the warning to not apply packages from this errata to RedHat 7.2.
    I assume that means the 7.0 and 7.1 packages, but that isn't made clear.

    -
    John Airey
    Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute for the
    Blind,
    Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
    Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 John.Aireyat_private

    Agnostic (Greek) = Ignoramus (Latin)

    -

    confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
    intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
    disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
    immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
    system.

    RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
    attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
    cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
    transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

    represent those of RNIB.

    RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

    Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk