sltrib.com, using nacorp.com's web forms are submitted insecurely, and are clearly promoted as being secure

From: Jon Zobrist (kgbat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 14:59:49 PST

    Every web form I can find on their web site is DISPLAYED using SSL, and
    proudly displays Thawte's logo as being a secure site. These forms contain
    fields for sensitive personal information, including credit card number.

    One such form is located at.
    https://www.nacorp.com/NAC/_private/subscribe_now_SSL.htm

    However, a simple look at their HTML shows the forms are submitted over a
    non SSL connection.

    <form method="POST" action="http://www.nacorp.com/scripts/mailto.exe"
    onsubmit="return FrontPage_Form1_Validator(this)" name="FrontPage_Form1">

    I notified the vendor on January 7, 2002. Initial vendor response was
    positive, saying they'd look into it. My follow inquiry send January 20,
    2002 was replied to with a claim of disagreement.

    In the interest of allowing the public to protect themselves, I am submitted
    this to bugtraq, and have notified the local news.

    A second critic of their security is the actual target of the form is an
    executable called mailto.exe, and the form includes several hidden fields
    containing a users email address and a mail server.
    <input type="hidden" name="sendto" value="serviceat_private"><input
    type="hidden" name="server" value="mail.nacorp.com"><table border="1"
    width="100%">

    I suspect this executable could easily be used by malicious persons to send
    their own messages to whomever they choose, not to mention the personal
    information being submitted over an insecure medium such as email.

    Again, I am submitted this to bugtraq with the hopes of helping the vendor
    in question understand the security flaws in their system which directly
    affect active customers who put their credit card number on these forms.

    -Jon Zobrist
    kgbat_private