Re: sastcpd Buffer Overflow and Format String Vulnerabilities

From: elliptic (ellipticat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 09:54:38 PST

    > "SAS software provides the foundation, tools, and
    > solutions for data analysis, report generation,
    > and enterprise-wide information delivery."
    >
    > The "SAS Job Spawner", sastcpd, contains both a buffer
    > overflow and a format string vulnerability.
    >
    > SAS Support say that these problems were fixed in version
    > 8.2 of this product, but we are unable to confirm as we
    > do not have access to this version.

    This problem appears to be addressed by the following product note:
    http://www.sas.com/service/techsup/unotes/SN/004/004201.html

    Some additional information Digital Shadow neglected to include:

    sastcpd is part of the SAS/Base component.  Although I neither work for
    SAS, nor do I use their product on a regular basis, I'd assume this means
    the scope of exposure is broad.

    Additionally, it appears that the objspawn program included with the
    SAS/Integration Technologies product is also vulnerable to these bugs.
    objspawn is also a setuid root executable by default.  See the above link
    for more information.

    Cheers,
    ellipse