Vulnerability in all versions of DCForum from dcscripts.com

From: shimi (shimiat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 04:15:44 PST

    When a user requests a new password for his account, a new password is
    generated and sent to the requester (anyone that knows the username+email
    information, which is usually available in "user profile").

    The problem is that the password is simply the first 6 characters of the
    user's SessionID, which is, of course, known to anybody who knows how to
    see a value in a cookie.

    Hence every user in the world can come to the board, request a new
    password for someone, and then login with that username + 6 first
    characters of the SessionID from the cookie.

    The author has been notified (by me), and even released a patch, but, as
    it appears, didn't bother saying that here, where most of the world will
    be reading it, so I decided to do it myself.

    Here's my post:
    http://www.dcscripts.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=1198&forum=dcfBug

    And here's the patch:
    http://www.dcscripts.com/bugtrac/DCForumID7/3.html

      Best regards,
         Shimi

    ----

       "Outlook is a massive flaming horrid blatant security violation, which
        also happens to be a mail reader."

       "Sure UNIX is user friendly; it's just picky about who its friends are."

        Sign that you downloaded Linux from a bad source:
        "My compiler keeps hanging on NSABackdoor.h !!!"