RE: NetScreen ScreenOS 2.6 Subject to Trust Interface DoS

From: Dave Killion (Dkillionat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 10:27:11 PST

    Chris,

    You were misinformed about the time for a fix.  Your device was also more
    than likely misconfigured.  This issue has already been addressed, and
    preventative measures were added in ScreenOS 2.6.1 back in September of 2001
    Internet worms.  The feature is called Source IP Session Thresholding.  This
    feature was implemented as a CLI command in 2.6.1r2, and has been
    incorporated into the WebUI starting with ScreenOS 3.1.  ScreenOS 3.1 is
    currently available for the NS-204, NS-208, and NS-500.

    The command:

    set firewall session-threshold source-ip-based [num]

    limits any one source IP from the trusted side to [num] number of concurrent
    sessions.  Since the 5XP can support 2048 concurrent sessions, it would make
    sense to set the limit lower than that.  I would recommend the higher of the
    following two numbers as a starting point:  100, or 2048/n where n is the
    number of systems on your private side network.  You might want to check
    your flow counters to see if that's an acceptable number, and modify
    accordingly.

    As to how long these sessions remain active is user configurable.  ScreenOS
    has a default setting for session inactivity timeout of 30 minutes.  Both
    pre-defined and custom services can be adjusted in timeout value from 1
    minute to 2 days.  If you would have waited 30 minutes, your portscans to an
    unresponsive machine would have timed out and the sessions cleared for
    reuse.  If you had scanned a machine that responded to the scans (with
    either ICMP unreachable or RST), the session would have closed immediately.

    I'm curious as to from who you received this incorrect and outdated
    information, so we can correct our own internal information distribution
    system.  A NetScreen Whitepaper was also written (by me) that covers this
    new feature and it's use, as well as information on the worms from last
    year.  It's somewhat dated now, and I didn't feel like spamming the bugtraq
    alias with it as well, but if you'd like a copy, please drop me a note and
    I'll forward it to you.

    If you have any further questions on this matter, please feel free to ask.

    Dave Killion
    Senior Support Engineer
    NetScreen Certified Security Associate (NCSA)
    NetScreen Technical Assistance Center
    supportat_private
    (800)638-8296
    Please visit our Enhanced Services support offerings at
    http://www.netscreen.com/support/enhanced_services.html