Re: rsync-2.5.2 has security fix (was: Re: [RHSA-2002:018-05] New rsync packages available)

From: Steven M. Christey (coleyat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 15:32:22 PST

    Jim Knoble <jmknobleat_private> said:

    >I can't seem to find any information about this issue at cve.mitre.org;
    >it simply says:
    >
    >  ** RESERVED ** This candidate has been reserved by an organization or
    >  individual that will use it when announcing a new security problem.
    >  When the candidate has been publicized, the details for this
    >  candidate will be provided.

    [Background: CVE is a naming standard for computer vulnerabilities
    that is being increasingly used by security product vendors and
    services, as well as software vendors.  It is led by MITRE and
    supported by many leading security-related organizations.]

    These "** RESERVED **" candidates arise because of a necessary "race
    condition" in the CVE process.

    It is best to have CVE candidate names in vulnerability reports when
    they are first released to the public, especially for issues that
    affect multiple vendors.  This makes the candidate numbers immediately
    available to people who use them, and it makes it easier to correlate
    multiple reports or advisories that are describing the same issue.
    MITRE provides certain organizations with candidate names before the
    issue has become public.

    To ensure that there is no "information leak" of vulnerability details
    before the related issue has been publicized, a generic description is
    initially assigned to the candidate, as quoted above.  The reserved
    candidate is then placed on the CVE web site to ensure that
    *something* is there when the issue has been publicized.

    A short time after the issue has been publicized (normally 0 to 2
    business days), the candidate is given a legitimate description and
    references, and the CVE web site is updated accordingly.

    So, there's a built-in delay with these "reserved" candidates.

    Note that there are now details available for CAN-2002-0048.

    >I've seen at least three announcements about rsync from different Linux
    >distribution vendors, but no information at all about what versions are
    >actually vulnerable, or when the vulnerability was discovered (or
    >fixed).

    Some people try to use CVE as an original source of vulnerability
    information, but it is not designed to provide these kinds of details.
    (Other information sources, such as vulnerability databases and
    reporting services or vendor and researcher advisories, should be
    consulted instead).  CVE's focus is on providing enough information
    for people to understand which vulnerability is being identified, to
    allow them to distinguish between similar vulnerabilities, and to
    allow prople to correlate information from other sources.

    That said, it does seem to be difficult sometimes to get the necessary
    information from an advisory.  It's not just version numbers.

    For CVE's purposes, I have found that the following details are
    critical:

    1) The affected version(s) and product names, and which versions have
       been fixed.

    2) Whether the problem is remotely or locally exploitable (for some
       definition of "remote" and "local;" there are some variations in
       how these words are used)

    3) The general type of the problem (buffer overflow, signedness error,
       misconfiguration, etc.)

    4) In the case of a researcher or third party advisory: some
       information about whether the vendor was informed, who was
       informed, what their response was (if any), and (where possible) a
       pointer to a place where the vendor publicly acknowledges the
       problem.

    5) Cross-references to other documents (e.g. Bugtraq posts, CERT
       advisories, and/or CVE names).  For vendor or third party
       advisories, crediting the person who reported the problem will
       often help to correlate the document with others (though that can
       still be insufficient information, e.g. when a prolific researcher
       finds different bugs in the same software over a period of time,
       and some vendors are reluctant to credit people who don't report a
       problem responsibly).

    6) If similar vulnerabilities have been discovered in the past, a
       distinct statement that references those earlier vulnerabilities,
       and says why they are different.

    Obviously there is more information that other people need, such as
    links to patches, detailed analysis of the vulnerability, or some
    notion of how severe the problem is.

    >I find it tiring that vendors neglect to disclose this sort of
    >information in their public announcements.  A simple statement such as
    >"Plain-vanilla versions of rsync less than 2.5.2 are vulnerable.
    >However, we've backported the fix to our sparkling new package of
    >rsync-2.4.6.  Customers who use our Strawberry Linux Forever
    >distribution should upgrade to our packages, listed below: ...."

    In the case of version numbers in Linux advisories, sometimes the
    version numbers are buried in the list of RPM's for fixes (since the
    filename may contain the version number).  The problem is made worse
    because different Linux distributions will fix different versions of
    the same software.

    Another issue occurs when "wildcards" are used to specify ranges of
    versions that are affected, for example, when someone says "this
    problem appears in version 4.x." (or worse, "in all versions").  In
    the future, the vendor may release many other non-vulnerable versions
    that would appear to "match" the 4.x version.  For example, consider
    when the vendor fixes the problem in version 4.5, and someone sees the
    advisory after they've installed version 4.10.  Old CERT/CC advisories
    from the early 1990's would sometimes use the wildcard phrases; if
    those advisories were interpreted literally today, they'd still apply
    to current software.  For example, CERT CA-1991-19 still says "This
    patch is available for all AIX releases ...  to the current release."

    Listing specific range(s) of affected versions would address this
    problem.

    One would think that most consumers of vulnerability information need
    to know at least (1) the affected version numbers, (2) whether the
    problem is remote or local, (3) some idea of the severity of the
    issue, and (4) cross references.  But many advisories don't even
    contain this information.  This makes things harder for consumers of
    vulnerability information, including CVE, because it makes it
    extremely difficult to distinguish between similar vulnerabilities, or
    to tell if 2 different reports are really talking about the same
    issue.  CVE can help to address the problem of correlating multiple
    reports and distinguishing between similar vulnerabilities.

    However, without direct vendor involvement in CVE, we are often
    working with the same amount of information that everyone else
    is... and there are often significant gaps that can produce errors in
    CVE (and other vulnerability information sources).  In fact, we have
    had to modify some of our own consistency guidelines for CVE content,
    because many reports do not provide sufficient information.  I suspect
    that erroneous or missing information information often arises when
    researchers and vendors do not work together to research and resolve
    an issue.  (Yep, it all comes down to disclosure practices.)
    Sometimes this happens even when people have the best of intentions.

    Steve Christey
    CVE Editor