Re: Lotus Domino password bypass

From: Chad Loder (chadat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 12:23:22 PST

    We've reproduced this on Domino 5.0.8 and earlier. Domino
    version 5.0.9 does NOT appear to be vulnerable (it gives
    an Error 500 Unable to Process Request).

    I seem to remember another variant of this vulnerability
    having been reported before. However I can't find the URL
    for the advisory (it might have been David Litchfield
    from NextGenSS) -- the reason I think so is because Lotus
    fixed a whole slew of template access problems in 5.0.9
    (apparently including this one).

    As far as I can tell, this vulnerability only allows you to
    access the design template (.ntf), not the database itself
    (.nsf).

    However, access to the webadmin.ntf template in particular
    can be very dangerous.  As David Litchfield reported last year
    (yes I'm sure it was him this time :-), attackers can use that
    template to read files on the Domino system. So this bug may
    provide another way to get at the web admin template. See the
    following for more information:

             http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/3491

    We have added a check for this URL variant to NeXpose,
    our security scanner. Visit http://www.rapid7.com to
    learn more and to download.

    Gabriel Maggiotti wrote:
    >Web:  http://qb0x.net                   Author: Gabriel A. Maggiotti
    >Date: Febrary 03, 2002                  E-mail: gmaggiotat_private
    >

    >General Info
    >Problem Type    :  password protected url bypass
    >Product         :  Lotus Domino
    >Scope           :  Remote
    >Risk            :  High

    Chad Loder <chadat_private>