Re: Long path exploit on NTFS

From: Christophe Bousquet (c.bousquetat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 22:52:47 PST

    Actually, you don't have to deal with long path name.

    Here's a little experiment I've just done :
    - a file with something that triggers my MacAfee VirusScan NT, put it in
        folder "Hello". Start scan : no problem, VirusScan warns me about
        the dangerous thing.
    - same file, in folder called "nihongo", but labeled using japanese
        characters i.e. a folder with a unicode name. Start scan : nothing!
        No warning, because (i guess) no scan at all.

    As Mr LeBlanc said, the problem here is those so-called NT version that
    don't know what NT is.

    Experiment done with VirusScan Engine 4.1.60, datfile 4.0.4183 on my
    english NT 4.0 SP6+SRP+.. The bait I use is cdc's back orifice in a zip.

    And for the little history, I don't blame MacAfee more than almost any
    other app. I really hate it when xxxAmp can't play my jpop mp3, when
    xxxCDCreator can't backup my folders on CD-R, etc...

    Best regards
    Christophe

    ** speaking for myself and *not* for my employer. **