Re: PIX DOS (config problem) - Similar to NetScreen ScreenOS...

From: David P. Maynard (dpmat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 19:29:15 PST

    The "ip verify reverse-path" setting certainly sounds like a good thing,
    but I will admit to not having tested it.  Depending on how Cisco has
    implemented it, the setting could eliminate the DOS problem as effectively
    as manually configuring access to the NAT pool.  I believe that they even
    recommend it in some of the "best practice" documents.

    I always prefer explicit filters when configuring routers, so I never use
    the IOS equivalent.  It never occurred to me to consider the PIX feature
    as an alternative to limiting access to NAT.  The original Release Notes
    for the feature (from 4.4(5)) mention that they perform a routing table
    lookup to validate every session.  I doubt that is any more intensive than
    performing the ACL match though.  (If people are pushing the CPU on a
    PIX hard enough that it matters, they probably shouldn't be using that PIX
    anyway.)

    I would bet that the vast majority of PIX installations could run with
    ip verify reverse-path enabled.  The multi-exit network topologies where
    you typically can't use the IOS version of the feature would already
    "break" the stateful inspection tables.  Maybe Cisco should change the PIX
    to enable the verify reverse-path feature by default.