DW020203-PHP clarification

From: Dave Wilson (dwat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 14:17:16 PST

    Hi,
    I have had many, many mails telling me this is not a problem when
    file_priv = 'n' for the connecting user. This is not true. file_priv seems
    to only affect server-based file operations, and thus does not interrupt
    the operation of LOAD DATA LOCAL (note the LOCAL).

    A patch to fix this problem was posted to php-dev, if you might be affected, a
    fix is available. Another fix might be to just use proper filesystem perms on
    your servers in the first place..

    mycgiserver.com have a nice way of disallowing viewing of other's homedirs,
    each user recieves an md5 hash, which is used when creating their
    document_root, like so:

    /web/<hash>/root

    With /web being executeable only. This effectively disallows access to other's
    document roots without a key (the hash).
    </rant>

    -dw