Re: Infecting the KaZaA network?

From: GertJan de Leeuw (dataholicat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 06:51:58 PST

    I had the same thought about this subject a long time
    ago, but I discovered there are 2 major problems why
    a attacker cannot successfully infect the distribution
    of a new kazaa client:

    1.The installation MUST have the same size as the
    orginal distribution package, since kazaa will look on
    its network for the filename with the exact filesize (for
    multiple downloads at one time from different clients)
    Because you need to 'inject' your evil code the
    filesize will be bigger. Ofcourse you could pack it with
    a pe packer like upx and add bytes till the exact
    filesize is there , but then we have problem 2:

    2.As we all know, KazaA downloads from multiple
    users, so IF you have success with step 1, you will
    fail at this point, because you will have an invalid exe
    (a evil version merged with the orginal distro).

    So the only way somebody can infect the network is ,
    injecting the first compiled version of a new
    distibution (but that is hardly impossible)

    Regards,

    GertJan de Leeuw
    www.illnetworks.tk