Re: mpg321

From: Joe Drew (hoserheadat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 18:00:29 PST

    On Tue, 2002-02-12 at 18:05, -l0rt- wrote:
    > I know that there have been older similar bugs, here is a new one that I
    > could find nothing about in the lists.

    Older similar bugs in mpg321? Why does nobody tell me about this?

    > mpg123 accepts url's and may be used by other suid binaries or services.
    > A buffer condition exists in mpg321 that could allow for
    > remote/unwarrented command execution by means of a specailly formatted
    > URL or other input. mpg321 is not setuid or setgid.

    Other suid binaries should have no trouble, since mpg321 is a
    stand-alone binary.

    > fact:
    > mpg123 cores when it is passed the following string:
    >
    > mpg123 `perl -e'print "A" x 10000'`

    This should not have been remotely exploitable, but I no longer trust
    myself, given how wrong my code was proven with this. This bug is now
    fixed in CVS.

    --
    Joe Drew <hoserheadat_private> <drewat_private>

    Please encrypt email sent to me.