winamp and wma Song Licenses

From: jelmer (jelmerat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 12:28:33 PST

    When opening a wma file with winamp (2.77, 2.78 tested) that requires a
    license to be installed, winamp opens the webpage where it obtains this
    license (through some vb script code calling an active x object), witch
    it passes the url to itself in order for this page to provide a
    click-here-to-play type of link

    This is a problem, for if the users starts a download and presses open
    instead of save to disk eighter on a webpage or in an email message
    (this is currently the default action on this pc, it doesn't even prompt
    for saving, however I most likely have clicked a checkbox too many
    somewhere)
    The path to the temporary internet files folder is revealed to the page
    that provides the license. And thus allows for chm file type of attacks
    witch allows execution of arbitrary code

    For an example

    On http://windowsmedia.neuroticmedia.net/ you'll find a lot of wma files
    all with licenses (I found this link on the windowsmedia.com website)

    On downloading and starting the first wma file winamp fires up internet
    explorer and opens the following url for me

    http://web.neuroticmedia.net/getV1License.asp?content_guid=2524&challeng
    e=AAEAAdytv8CWPq!uaEvLpmn9Ay!TyS0T5P5TBaqgGEhtHqneqhPSWcDvzmo!FLmsofK8sc
    8gGQrMIUsrvTrwXS7a3207D*cHR2b6HLXZ5ANyskZwsNAWEUdtPKmbgHRCRsK0JbIK3S3msY
    p5iSz8QOVtzKBYV0sRRmxvs2h4J2p8DdVw0y08IjmxviTKWuuwKyKCnXh49dIu05gIKhbg1W
    x8nR2fT8*Um3IDTrYv*MGmSENm1!mfv3MoO8cSzF!om4KX6IL5vLi0&DRMVer=1.3&filena
    me=file://C:%5cDocuments%20and%20Settings%5cJelmer%5cLocal%20Settings%5c
    Temporary%20Internet%20Files%5cContent.IE5%5cCBL7ME79%5cStatic-X-Cold%5b
    1%5d.wma

    Clearly showing the temporary internet files folder passed in the
    filename parameter

    Additionally this particular site is also vulnerable to a cross site
    scripting exploit as show by the following url.

    http://web.neuroticmedia.net/getV1License.asp?content_guid=2623&challeng
    e=AAEAAW*cuZ*Ox399!2qBZxPMHDSN!hMx*NaYtOSFpu66wNTGY4bqHFb6BU*0ZLpLRn*uGp
    g5idOrzs!72BtRJ5S1XnFIXlb*teiO4zljbilFZnM6r3L8oCd6UrQ1oQlnukZY3S1pHXSS*o
    xG9O29p4BhcxYnmx0RZ2dz1gUPZWbzqVdhxw6rSc!EuBS*l2*CXcQdV1Ie7qeo!OIP0g6Gxc
    qI2njcI8cQgIuExtwEVpEOHoodx1TET5SFiu1Z8NyHlR0ZLWMa!wXG&DRMVer=1.3&filena
    me="></a><script%20language=javascript>alert('cross site
    scripting');</script><a>

    ---
      jelmer