Re: SNMP test suite vs. Motorola SB4100 cable modem

From: Chris Wilson (chrisat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 17:00:25 PST

    Dear Mr Powers and Bugtraq,

    > My Motorola SB4100 handled the SNMP test suite well up until test-case 900,
    > upon which it locked up completely.
    >
    > I had to disconnect and reconnect the power cord to bring it back online.  I
    > haven't tried the rest of the suite yet.

    Amazingly, my SB3100 stood up to the entire test suite of 10600 cases
    without a hitch, and apparently has not suffered any ill effects.

    Incidentally, it took me a while to find the test suite, interested
    parties can find it here:

    http://www.ee.oulu.fi/research/ouspg/protos/testing/c06/snmpv1/index.html#download

    > To my cable company's credit, they recently restricted SNMP access across
    > the subnet my cable modem resides in.  It appears you can only send SNMP
    > packets to your own modem.  This was not the case late last year.

    Not all of us are so lucky. My ISP, who shall remain nameless for now,
    appears to have left SNMP of all their customers' modems wide open. They
    are on RFC1918 private addresses, so not reachable from the Internet at
    large, but I'd bet that a few of our users are running a UDP echo service
    which could be used to send nasty packets to everyone else.

    > NT4's SNMP service crashes around test-case 2358.  The SNMP service in Win9x
    > crashes slightly sooner.  Neither was as impressive as the cable modem.  :)

    I will test some more devices on Monday and report any positives I find.

    Cheers, Chris.
     / __// / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chrisat_private> | Phone: 01223 503 190 |
    / (_ / ,\/ _/ /_ \ | Tech Director - Caliday Project | RITC (Cambridge) Ltd |
    \ _//_/_/_//_/___/ | Unix Systems & Network Engineer | Cambridge CB5 8LA UK |