Re: Cert Advisory 2002-03 and HP JetDirect

From: Joshua Newton (babyswanat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 16:41:50 PST

    This has probably been done to death, but I can't help but note that all
    HP JD firmware I've ever come in contact with has been horribly fragile
    to all sorts of simple network abuses. A 1-second pingflood causes x
    08.32 firmware to lock so hard that it refuses to pass any packets at
    all anywhere ever again unless hard-reset. (I may be exaggerating in
    this case, but I waited about ten minutes before I gave up and pulled
    the plug.) A quick nmap OS fingerprint scan produces the same results,
    on and off, and an nmap TCP connect() portscan can lock a JD box or card
    almost instantaneously, depending on the delay between connect()s.

    SNMP fragility is the /least/ of the JD product line's worries. In fact,
    while I'm at it, most every embedded IP stack I've ever seen has been at
    least this fragile, if not more so -- I've seen Intermec OpenAir access
    points, Ricoh network print cards, and Powerware UPS SNMP boxes all
    exhibit the same kind of awful -- and inexcusable -- fragility. In the
    last case, this can give new meaning to "denial of service," especially
    if there were multiple servers monitoring the box to see if they should
    start a controlled shutdown...