Re: Why is Microsoft watching us watch DVD movies?

From: Just Marc (marcat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 06:45:56 PST

     |  In my opinion the above information are not sufficient to generate profiles
     |  about individuals, although they allow the generation of general statistics.
     |  But this is rather normal for a database service. ;)

     It is not normal in this case,  because the database is certainly *not*
    needed,  The user knows what DVD is in his drive, the chapters are mapped,
    menued and named.   There is absolutely no need for accessing an external
    db.   Therefore it smells like they are doing it for their own statistics
    which I don't think is just, especially because the user cannot turn this
    behaviour off,   It should be the choice of the user, and it should be
    turned off per default.

    	bye,
    		Marc.

    --
    marc @ corky.net

    fingerprint = D1F0 5689 967F B87A 98EB  C64D 256A D6BF 80DE 6D3C

              /"\
              \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign
               X      Against HTML Mail
              / \