Re: Windows Media Player executes WMF content in .MP3 files.

From: Brian McWilliams (brian@pc-radio.com)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 18:13:52 PST

    I've confirmed the report below.

    Windows Media Player (like RealPlayer) allows content developers to create
    slide shows or "illustrated audio." That is, you can create a stream in the
    player's native media format (.asf, .wma. .wmf) that includes embedded
    URLs, scripts, etc.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwmt/html/wmp7_urlflips.asp

    Turns out that if you feed the WMP a .wma file that has embedded URLs and
    that has been renamed to end in .mp3, the WMP will happily treat the file
    like one of its own and launch the URLs in the browser when it encounters
    them in the stream.

    Demo here:

    http://www.pc-radio.com/gimp.mp3

    59k (19 second) wma file that has been renamed to mp3. Should launch three
    separate Web pages during playback with Windows Media Player.

    Brian