RE: IE execution of arbitrary commands without Active Scripting or ActiveX (GM#001-IE) + Workaround.

From: GreyMagic Software (securityat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 17:02:18 PST

    As the advisory mentions, this exploit only works for IE5.5+, and I quote:
    "Any application that hosts the WebBrowser control (5.5+) is affected
    since..."
    Many people seem to have missed that and emailed us about the fact that "it
    doesn't work here!" while using IE5, so to make it perfectly clear;

    The bug only exists in IE5.5 and later versions, even if you set your
    Internet Zone to disable the download of ActiveX.

    Regardless of all this, we were notified of a possible workaround and
    thought that this is important to share;

    Since the injected <object> runs in the "My Computer" Zone changing the
    Internet Zone's settings didn't affect it, but changing the correct zone's
    settings will prevent this exploit from running..

    Here is the registry information:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\Zones\0]
    Change "1004" (DWORD) to 0x3.

    Many thanks to Axel Pettinger and Garland Hopkins for this workaround.

    Regards,
    	L. Dagon,
    	GreyMagic Software, Israel.