Re: IIS SMTP component allows mail relaying via Null Session

From: Todd Sabin (tsabinat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 20:23:02 PST

    "Toni Lassila" <toni.lassila@mc-europe.com> writes:
    > > Overview:
    > > IIS comes with a small SMTP component.  The default settings allow
    > > anyone who can authenticate to it to relay email.  Because the
    > > authentication system supports NTLM, it is possible for anyone to
    > > authenticate using null session credentials, and then relay email.
    > >
    > > Workarounds:
    > > Disable the SMTP service.
    > > Disable the ability of authenticated users to relay email.
    > > Firewall off the SMTP service from untrusted networks.
    >
    > I suspect turning off NTLM authentication and allowing only Basic
    > Authentication (with or without TLS),

    I tried this, and it appears to be effective.

    >                                       or alternatively disabling
    > null session access (details are in many MS KB) from the server
    > are two possible workarounds as well. Disabling null sessions is
    > one of those security features one should do when securing a
    > Windows-based server anyway.

    If by "disabling null sessions" you mean setting RestrictAnonymous to
    1 or 2, then that is not effective.  RestrictAnonymous doesn't disable
    anonymous access, it just places additional restrictions on it.  You
    can still authenticate just fine with a null session when RA=2, and
    that's all you need for relaying.

    Todd

    --
    Todd Sabin                                               <tasat_private>
    BindView RAZOR Team                            <tsabinat_private>