Mistype a URL? M$N knows what you typed.

From: Darren Reed (avalonat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 16:42:02 PST

    If you've ever used IE and typed in "ww.foo.com" into the path, you
    will end up at a web page generated by an MSN web site.  How did I
    get this, you ask?  Well, you definately cannot find anything in the
    "Internet Options" panels which lets you configure this.  If you
    fire up regedit, under

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search

    you will find "CustomizeSearch" and "SearchAssistant".  Unless you
    want all of the URLs which fail to resolve in domain names to be
    handed off to MSN.  Furthermore, there are cookies involved with
    these web sites.  These "helpers" appear to only be used when there
    are no proxies enabled but it would be a nice if there was an easier
    way to stop Microsoft knowing every bad URL that gets typed, etc,
    by those with no proxy.

    FWIW, for me CustomizeSearch defaults to:
    http://ie.search.msn.com/{SUB_RFC1766}/srchasst/srchcust.htm
    and SearchAssistant to:
    http://ie.search.msn.com/{SUB_RFC1766}/srchasst/srchasst.htm

    Darren