OpenSSH rebuild warning: problems avoiding zlib problems in Solaris

From: Michael Leo (mleoat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 16:03:13 PST

    Gang,

    OK, so there might be a way to exploit the zlib problems in OpenSSH.

    I have primarily Solaris 7 & 8 systems, and I decided to build a new zlib
    (in /usr/local/lib) and rebuild OpenSSH.

    Following the directions in OpenSSH, I used a configure command
    like this:

       ./configure --with-zlib=/usr/local

    However, the resulting binaries still use Solaris' own copy of
    of libz.so in /lib.  Here is the ldd output of the new binary:

       % ldd ssh
        libz.so =>       /lib/libz.so
        libsocket.so.1 =>        /lib/libsocket.so.1
        libnsl.so.1 =>   /lib/libnsl.so.1
        libc.so.1 =>     /lib/libc.so.1
        libdl.so.1 =>    /lib/libdl.so.1
        libmp.so.2 =>    /lib/libmp.so.2
        /usr/platform/SUNW,Ultra-2/lib/libc_psr.so.1
       %

    Modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not seem to help.

    I have to dig into the makefiles, but I thought people might
    want to know.

    Replacing the Solaris /lib/libz.so library is undesirable, at least
    at our site.

    Convincing the OpenSSH build to use the PROPER libz in /usr/local/lib
    is apparently no easy task.

    Hope this helps,

    Michael Leo            mleoat_private        Java, Oracle
    Caribou Lake Software  http://www.cariboulake.com  Ingres, JDBC

    JSockets/JMobility: Tunnelling sockets over HTTP - REALLY!