Re[2]: [VulnWatch] IMail Account hijack through the Web Interface

From: Obscure (obscureat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 23:10:40 PST

    Hello Zillion,

    Monday, March 11, 2002, 5:11:43 AM, you wrote:

    Z> Hi all,

    Z> I think this was already covered for Imail 7.04 in the following
    Z> advisory:

    Z> http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/bugtraq/2001/10/msg00082.html

    Z> The workaround given by Ipswitch was:

    Z> Turn off the "ignore source address in security check" option. This isn't
    Z> a bullet proof workaround (think of proxies,nat etc) but can help to
    Z> prevent abuse of this issue.

    Z> zillion

    Seems like this is old news ;)

    As an additional workround:
    In my testing, when using HTTPS (secure mode) to access your IMail
    account, the referer is not being sent, meaning that clients using
    HTTPS should not be vulnerable. This was tested with Internet Explorer 6
    and Mozilla 0.9.8 against the tool at:
    http://eyeonsecurity.net/tools/referer.html

    --
    Best regards,
     Obscure                            mailto:obscureat_private