Re: [RHSA-2002:026-35] Vulnerability in zlib library

From: Tomasz Ostrowski (tometzkyat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 03:04:19 PST

    It seems that RedHat in its "Vulnerability in zlib library" advisory [1]
    has forgotten to write that a "rpm" program is staticly linked with zlib
    and needs to be recompiled.

    I have used find-zlib perl script [2] (linked from the zlib homepage [3])
    to find out which programs use staticly linked zlib and got the
    following output on "rpm" binary:

    | rpm: inflate version: "1.1.3 Copyright 1995-1998 Mark Adler"
    | rpm: zlib cplens table, little endian
    | rpm: zlib cplext table (version 1.0.5 to 1.1.4)

    [1] http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2002-026.html
    	I think it was never posted to BugTraq

    [2] http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/files/fw/find-zlib
    	find-zlib - scan for zlib tables in compiled code
    	Copyright (C) 2002 RUS-CERT, University of Stuttgart.
    	Written by Florian Weimer <Weimerat_private-Stuttgart.DE>.

    [3] http://www.gzip.org/zlib/

    Sorry for my English...

    --
    Best wishes     ...although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do,
    Tometzky        there was a moment just before you began to eat it