Re: [RHSA-2002:026-35] Vulnerability in zlib library

From: Mark J Cox (mjcat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 14:29:56 PST

    > I have used find-zlib perl script [2] (linked from the zlib homepage [3])
    > to find out which programs use staticly linked zlib and got the
    > following output on "rpm" binary:

    But not all programs that make use of zlib are actually vulnerable in a
    useful way.  zlib is only used in RPM for the payload which is only
    decompressed on package installation.  Therefore as far as I can tell this
    could only be exploited if you are installing a trojan package.  There are
    many easier ways for a trojan package to compromise your system.

    Cheers, Mark
    --
    Mark J Cox / Red Hat / OpenSSL / Apache Software Foundation
    mjcat_private // T: +44 798 061 3110 / F: +44 845 333 9533