RE: [Whitehat] about zlib vulnerability

From: Peter Mueller (pmuellerat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 18:47:50 PST

    > The vulnerable zlib 1.1.3 code can be even found on the freeswan
    > 1.95 source tree and previous versions, therefore there's a
    > potential vulnerability at kernel level; besides at the web site
    > http://www.freeswan.org the problem is not properly treated.

    From the developers @ freeswan:
    <snip>
    It is not of great importance to VPN applications, since compressed
    packets don't get fed to zlib until they've passed authentication.  It's a
    little more serious for opportunistic encryption, where the tunnel doesn't
    imply trust... but our experimental OE setup currently isn't proposing or
    accepting compression.
    </snip>

    Zlib apparently is not called into play unless the "compress=yes" option is
    turned on.  This feature could be individual to each tunnel or globally set
    for all tunnels.  default = no.  Additionally in order for zlib to even be
    accessed you have to authenticate an IPsec session.

    FYI, "opportunistic encryption" means using DNS to accomplish IPsec gateways
    without hard-coding ipsec setup information into some configuration file.
    It's currently still very experimental and thus not used in any production
    environments.

    Hope that helps,

    Peter