Bug in QPopper (All Versions?)

From: Dustin Childers (dustinat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 17:51:10 PST

      When sending a string that has 2048+ characters in
    it, the
      in.qpopper or popper process will begin to use
    massive
      amounts of CPU and will not stop until it is manually
    killed.

    Versions Affected:
      I tested this on 4.0.1 and 4.0.3.
      4.0.2 is probably vulnerable also.
      Older versions may also be vulnerable. I haven't
    tested those.

      This works locally and remotely.

    Patch Information:
      I attempted to patch this but I was not successful. I
    found
      that the most reasonable place for this would be the
    msg_buf
      in popper/main.c or msg_buf in
    password/poppassd.c.

    Dustin E. Childers