Re: OpenSSH rebuild warning: problems avoiding zlib problems in Solaris

From: Thomas Insel (tinselat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 12:15:02 PST

    On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Lisa Bogar wrote:

    > By the way ... Sun will NOT be producing a patch for zlib.  Its Freeware
    > so they don't patch those.  I checked with Sun when the zlib problem
    > surfaced earlier this week.  You should not count on overriding the old
    > version of zlib, but instead uninstall and then reinstall the new pkg.

    This is a bit annoying, as zlib lives in the SUNWzlib and SUNWzlibx
    packages that come on the Software Disc 2 of Solaris 8.  Both the
    package names and locations would normally imply it was supported.

    On the other hand, the only Sun-distributed products that depend
    on it are on the (explicitly unsupported) Companion Software CD.

    I'll check with Sun this afternoon and see what they tell me.

    Thomas Insel
    tinselat_private