Re: OpenSSH rebuild warning: problems avoiding zlib problems in Solaris

From: Casper Dik (Casper.Dikat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 13:46:53 PST

    >On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Lisa Bogar wrote:
    >
    >> By the way ... Sun will NOT be producing a patch for zlib.  Its Freeware
    >> so they don't patch those.  I checked with Sun when the zlib problem
    >> surfaced earlier this week.  You should not count on overriding the old
    >> version of zlib, but instead uninstall and then reinstall the new pkg.
    >
    >This is a bit annoying, as zlib lives in the SUNWzlib and SUNWzlibx
    >packages that come on the Software Disc 2 of Solaris 8.  Both the
    >package names and locations would normally imply it was supported.

    THEY ARE SUPPORTED PACKAGES.

    Lisa is blowing smoke.

    We are working on patches; the second copy of zlib (zlibx) is an historical
    accident because it was unsure zlib would make Solaris 8 in /usr/lib.

    Furthermore, it appears that our libc's malloc catches double frees
    in several ways; that may also lower the risk somewhat.

    (We have 10 more malloc libraries, I think, so beware)

    Casper