Re: Excite Email Disclosure Vulnerability

From: Obscure (obscureat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 12:57:14 PST

    Hello Jan,

    Tuesday, March 19, 2002, 12:01:36 AM, you wrote:

    JS> Hello all,

    JS> It appears that Excite's use of PHP allows for unauthorized access to a
    JS> users mailbox and subsequently his/her account on email.excite.com

    JS> Suppose a user receives an E-Mail with a URL and follows the link - the
    JS> target server receives a Referer String containing the PHPSESSION-Id
    JS> (http://e19.email.excite.com/msg_read.php?t=0&m=0&s=1&d=1&mid=157&PHPSESSID=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    JS> for example).

    JS> Copy and paste this into your browser and you have access to that users
    JS> mailbox.

    JS> I emailed Excite about this on March 9th, but didn't get any response.
    JS> A proposed solution for Excite would be to use cookies or to use PHP in
    JS> such a manner that it does not transmit the session-id on each link.

    JS> -Jan

    Also reported to bugtraq and on EoS :
    http://eyeonsecurity.net/advisories/imail.html   (Control+F, excite)

    I tried to contact them as well .. and similarly got no response. To exploit
    this to automatically get the URL, you would reference an IMAGE instead of expecting
    the user to follow a link.

    To test this check out I put up a small tool :
    http://eyeonsecurity.net/tools/referer.html

    --
    Best regards,
     Obscure