RE: [VulnWatch] NMRC Advisory - KeyManager Issue in ISS RealSecur e on Nokia Appliances

From: Rouland, Chris (ISSAtlanta) (CRoulandat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 13:38:22 PST

    Mr. Hellnbak has not proven the exploit legitimate, but rather has
    successfully tested a feature which allows for a fresh install to be easily
    managed.

    There is a feature called "allow first connection" on Nokia which allows for
    the very first connection to be connected and get it's keys imported.  It
    can be disabled by any customer who finds that scary, but most do not.  The
    person setting up the box is always the first one to connect, and after that
    only people with authentication keys can connect.  If the attacker had
    supreme timing and connected in the interval that the software was installed
    and before it was managed, the person who set this up in the first place
    would get refused access and figure out what was happening.  The reason why
    we added such a feature was to improve OOB with Nokia because there no easy
    way to get the initial public keys installed.

    If the feature is disabled OR if a legitimate administrator has simply
    connected at least once, the errant "skank" entry will be useless.  At such
    point, starscream_skank would be refused a connection to the issDaemon for
    lack of public keys, that is unless they gain root or convince the real
    administrator to push the pubkey on their behalf.

    Also, we've had this impotent entry removed for months now.

    It's unfortunate that some security professionals still do not take the time
    to work through these issues with vendors through responsible vulnerability
    disclosure.  In an asynchronous advisory from NMRC such as this,
    disinformation like this causes a lot of confusion to the end user, who we
    are all trying to protect.