Re: RCA cable modem Deny of Service

From: Rob Koliha (robat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 13:06:01 PST

    (this reply was originally posted on vulndev)

       You can do that with any docsis modem.. All of them use the snmp
    community 'public' for read/write access..

    There really isn't any physically identifiying information in a snmp
    walk of a modem (or by using docsdiag.jar to do it)... Signal levels,
    interface statistics, etc.. You can tell if they're using usb or ether
    and you can probably pull the client ip's (CPE's) from the walk..

    The docsis_light_avalos is odd, but I think that it may be the config
    file the modem is using or another configuration variable (possibly
    specific to the rca?).. It would be pretty crazy if your mso was snmp
    writing physically identifying information in every modem! At any rate
    that's a problem with your isp, not rca.

    Any snmp values that are written are reset when you unplug the modem for
    an extended period (15min+) or reset it using a software tool(motorola)
    or the physical reset button(toshiba)..

    The 10.x.x.x side of the modem is kind of wide open, but it's also
    fairly safe because unless you get someone to tell you their modem ip
    (or you get it directly from their modem (physically) you don't have any
    way to find it out other than guessing (which btw only works if your
    both on the same modem network)..

    It would be fairly simple to develop a tool to find active 10.x.x.x
    ranges and then snmp poll every ip in those ranges and compile a list of
    internet ip's behind modems.. That might not tell you much as far as
    physical location but you could use the information to determine what a
    persons modem ip was if you had their real ip and they were on your
    modem network..

    Another thing with the snmp side is the recent protos snmp test suite..
    _A LOT_ of the modems lockup when you use this tool on the 192.x.x.x or
    the 10.x.x.x interface.. It probably wouldn't be hard to make a mass
    denial of service attack that would hit all/selected ranges of 10.x.x.x
    addresses with the snmp exploit.. This would effectively lock up any
    vulnerable modem and would require the user to powercycle to restore
    service..

    The main thing to keep in mind is that the 10.x.x.x addy's aren't public
    and people outside of your modem network can't communicate with them..
    If anyone turns the above concepts into an exploit I'd appreciate a copy ;)

    Rob Koliha
    HSDT
    Charter Communications

    Gabriel A. Maggiotti wrote:

     >Web:  http://qb0x.net      			Author: Gabriel A. Maggiotti
     >Date: March 26, 2002       	        	E-mail: gmaggiotat_private
     >

     >General Info
     >------------
     >Problem Type    :  deny of service, misconfiguration and leak of
    information
     >Vendor          :  www.rca.com
     >Product         :  RCA cablemodems
     >Model           :  DCM225 (perhaps others)
     >Scope           :  Remote
     >Risk            :  High

     >The RCA Digital Cable Modem serves  as a two-way high-speed bridge
    between your
     >personal computer and
     >a cable  Internet Service Provider (ISP). i   It converts
     >information that originates  from the Internet or your computer into
    electronic
     >messages that can be transported over the same wires your cable
    company uses to
     > transport video signals.
     >

     >Problem:
     >-------
     >
     >1-  Deny of Service:
     >
     >        The RCA cable modem has two devices, the one for local
    connection is 192
     >.168.100.1 . This device is used  for information  request about the
    status  of
     >the cable. The other device is 10.x.x.x and gives the same information.
     >        If you   connect to the second device  (10.x.x.x) on port 80,
      RCA cable
     >modem reset the user connection with inet. I proved it with my own wan
    ip 10.1.1
     >.x and with other  cablemodem users  IP's in the same wan.   All of
    them  reset
     > when I remotly  connect to port 80 of the cablemodems.
     >

     >2-  Leak of Information:
     >     I can connect to the wan IP 10.x.x.x of any cablemodem user in my
    node,<
     >br>and take a look at the users cablemodem status information such as:
     >
     >        USB: Inactive
     >        Ethernet: 100
     >        BaseT
     >        MAC Address:  00 10 95 0a 05 62
     >        User: Active
     >        Signal Acquired at 573 MHz
     >        SNR: 36.0 dB
     >        Received Signal Strength: -4.0 dBmV
     >        Micro-Reflections: 20 dBc
     >        Connection: Acquired
     >        Frequency: 37 MHz
     >        Power Level: 44.0 dBmV
     >        Channel ID: 4
     >        Number of user conected: 1
     >

     >I can dump user cablemodem MIB's too.
     >
     >        I can search in MIB table looking for my node server. I know
    that  the
     >node IP start with 10.x.x.x and I started to search in the MIB  Ops, a
    found
     >it!
     >
     >69.1.4.2.0 = IpAddress: 10.20.250.1
     >69.1.4.3.0 = IpAddress: 10.20.250.1
     >69.1.4.4.0 = IpAddress: 10.20.250.1
     >69.1.4.5.0 = "docsis_light_avalos"
     >
     >        And then I recognize the word "avalos" becouse is the name of
    the street
     >here the node fisicaly is.
     >

     >3-  Misconfiguration cause you can write my own MIB table. Take a look:
     >
     ><quote>
     >[gabi@pluto gabi]$ snmpwalk 192.168.100.1 public
     >
     >system.sysDescr.0 = RCA DCM225 Cable Modem serial no. 65731049496572,
     >HW_Version 025 (03.1), SW_Version ST05.14.00, Bootloader_Ver 11.1, OS:
    PSOS