Re: An alternative method to check LKM backdoor/rootkit

From: Paul Starzetz (paulat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 06:54:26 PDT

    Wang Jian wrote:

    >THE ALTERNATIVE METHOD
    >
    >Our alternative method uses the first style: to find the differences
    >between the fake view and the real view.
    >
    >We read the raw disk and traverse the filesystem on disk, bypass the
    >live filesystem, and create a real view of files on disk; then traverse
    >the live filesystem to get the fake view. Compare the two view, we can
    >find the differences. We will find the stealth files.

    Be sure that this will be fixed in the next 'generation' of LRKM's.
    Patching the device methods for disk special nodes is not a big deal -
    why not to incorporate even your code into one of the nice LRKM's? You
    probably found a weaknes of 'current' LRKM's but in general it is a bad
    idea to check your machine while running a compromised kernel.

    /ih