Re: Remote buffer overflow in Webalizer

From: Bradford L. Barrett (bradat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 23:19:37 PDT

    > Here is a patch to fix the vulnerability (tested against webalizer-2.01-06).

    Bad fix.. while it will prevent the buffer from overflowing (which I still
    fail to see how can be used to execute a 'root' exploit, even with a LOT
    of imagination), but will cause the buffer to be filled with a non-null
    terminated string which will do all sorts of nasty things to your output,
    not to mention wreak havoc on the stats since you are cutting off the
    domain portion, not the hostname part, and adding random garbage at the
    end.

    Anyway, Version 2.01-10 has been released, which fixes this and a few
    other buglets that have been discovered in the last month or so.  Get it
    at the usual place (web: www.mrunix.net/webalizer/ or www.webalizer.org
    or ftp: ftp.mrunix.net/pub/webalizer/), and should be on the mirror sites
    soon.

    --
    Bradford L. Barrett                      bradat_private
    A free electron in a sea of neutrons     DoD#1750 KD4NAW