RE: Snort exploits

From: Grimes, Roger (RogerGat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 15:07:17 PDT

    Not to get even further off topic...but I will...to support Draqos.

    The whole IDS evasion thing mimics the scanners vs. virus writers war.  I've
    been doing antivirus work since 1989 and I have heard that virus writers
    were going to polymorph, encrypt, oli-this, poly-that since before there
    were 100 viruses.  Nobody, not even the AV vendors thought that scanners
    would still be fighting the good fight (and winning 99.999% of the time)
    when 30,000+ viruses and worms appeared.  Virus scanners would run out of
    memory, wouldn't be able to keep up with the signatures, would end up with
    too many false-positives, would run so slow nobody would use them, etc.  But
    the truth is fingerprint scanning (no matter how flawed) still works and I
    hear less about AV scanner deaths every year...and when I do hear it's from
    the vendors themselves...and guess what they have the new solution sitting
    in the wings ready to go.  I see the same pattern in IDS...heck, yeah, the
    black hatters will develop more sophisticated hacks...and the white hatters
    will fight back...SUCCESSFULLY.

    With that said, there are some viruses today that scare the mess out of the
    good AV guys...ones that scare them and keep them up at night.  And DDoS
    "Reflection" attacks???...if you're not scared you don't understand the
    problem.  But the good guys will respond and life will go on as usual.

    Just my one cent.

    Roger A. Grimes

    *Roger A. Grimes, VP of IT for GK/PHR Holding Company
    *Gold Key Resorts and Professional Hospitality Resources
    *email:  rogergat_private
    *ph: 757-491-2101 x403
    *fax:757-491-6550
    *932 Laskin Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23451
    *Author of Malicious Mobile Code:  Virus Protection for Windows by O'Reilly
    *http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/malmobcode/