Re: Amazon.com Password limit

From: jon schatz (jonat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 23:51:33 PDT

    On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 19:24, Vishal Ganeriwala wrote:
    > That means max password lenght
    > for amazon is 8 chars  . It truncts everything after 8
    > chars. and Amazon doesn't tell you to choose
    > password of maximum 8 chars .  I dont know security
    > implications . But the information is useful if one is
    > trying to bruteforce a account since he knows max
    > password lenght is 8 char .

    On a similar note, I was trying to login to a MSN account via gaim. I
    tried my hotmail email account as a username, and used my password. No
    dice. After playing around for a while, I found that the limit for
    Passport passwords is 15 characters (mine was longer). This is
    (obviously) much more difficult to brute force than an 8 character
    password, but unpublished password limits piss me off.

    -jon

    --
    jonat_private || www.divisionbyzero.com
    gpg key: www.divisionbyzero.com/pubkey.asc