Another Faq-O-Matic XSS Vuln?

From: BrainRawt . (brainrawtat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 16:03:49 PDT

    Another Faq-O-Matic XSS Vuln?
    -----------------------------

    I have seen other XSS advisories on bugtraq and securityfocus for
    Faq-O-Matic,
    but I have not seen an advisory for this particular vulnerability.

    Faq-O-Matic XSS (cross site scripting) Vulnerability
    Disovered By BrainRawt (http://rawt.daemon.sh)

    About Faq-O-Matic:
    ------------------
    The Faq-O-Matic is a CGI-based system that automates the process of
    maintaining
    a FAQ (or Frequently Asked Questions list). It allows visitors to your FAQ
    take part in keeping it up-to-date.  Faq-O-Matic can be downloaded @
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/faqomatic

    Vulnerable (tested) Versions:
    --------------------
    Faq-O-Matic 2.712
    Faq-O-Matic 2.711

    Vendor Contact:
    ----------------
    4-19-02 - An email was sent to jonhowell at users.sourceforge.net discussing
               this issue.

    4-19-02 0 An email was received from Jon Howell claiming that this
               vulnerability and others have been fixed in the current CVS tree,
               which hasnt been released yet.

    NOTE:  Jon seems like a great guy and as you can see by the date, replied to
    my
            email VERY quickly.  Thanks alot Jon for your quick reply and I hope
            see that new CVS tree released soon.

    Vulnerability:
    ----------------
    Faq-O-Matics fom.cgi improperly filters "file" which can be changed by
    visitors
    to the site.  If the "file" doesnt exist, the script prints it to the html.
    A malicious vistor to this website can change "file" from its original call
    and insert javascript into the site.  This vulnerability can be used for
    various
    reasons from website redirection to cookie theft.

    Exploit (POC):
    http://www.target.net/path_to_Faq-O-Matic/fom?file=>alert('If+this+script
    +was+modified,+it+could+easily+steal+amigadev.net+cookies+and+log+them+to+a+remote
    +location')</script>&step