Lil' HTTP Server Directory Traversal Vulnerability

From: Matthew Murphy (mattmurphyat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 08:00:32 PDT

    Lil' HTTP Server is a Windows HTTP server that supports several features in
    a relatively compact application.  It is vulnerable to a classic (stupid)
    attack:

    http://[target]/../../windows/win.ini

    This link will read WIN.INI on Windows 95/98/Me, and with a slight
    modification ("winnt" instead of "windows") would do the same on an NT box.
    Scott Slater, the author of the tool, assured me that "we will look into
    this and update it very soon".  This is encouraging to me, but the ease with
    which this attack is conducted scares me.